Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ruck March

SSG Heck and I have been working together towards earning the German Proficiency badge. The events include a ruck march, shot put, running long jump, swimming and running events. Yesterday we completed our first event the ruck march.

In the afternoon we met with our contacts at the Germany post with our ruck sacks. With a map in hand we set out as a pair on our 30 kilometer journey with the timer counting down from five hours. By the time we arrived at the half way point and enjoyed a one minute break with a glass of orange juice and an apple only two hours had gone by, but our feet were beginning to hurt. The 15 kilometer return to the start point was terrible. My feet hurt so much I had to constantly tell myself to ignore the pain and move out. I would have preferred to take up a light jog to ensure that I returned in time, but my feet would not allow jogging to be an option. On our way out we had been keeping careful track of our pace count, steps per minute and kilometers to go. On the way back we were so worn out that neither of us could work out the math to figure out how fast we needed to travel so we were left with just moving as quickly as possible.

I crossed the finish line with an easy 17 minutes to spare. SSG Heck and I ached so much that we could barely get in and out of his truck to get home. As soon as I arrived home and made it up to the third floor I had Tricia help me get my boots off and took a nice hot bath.

I suspect in about two days I will really feel the effects of the ruck march on my body.

No comments: