So I wrote about the worst of times, here is the best of times. Twice before I have been to the Special Events Center at Fort Carson to welcome Cory home. The first time was three months after we had been married. It was the first time I had ever been on post and I was just so excited to get there. I can remember what I wore, what shoes I was wearing, and the anticipation of waiting to see them walk through the doors. (Think Christmas times 10). The first time there was also the anticipation of finally starting a life with my husband, we had only spent a handful of days together before that day and I was excited to be on the same continent with my husband!
The last time I went to the Special Events Center in May of this year, I went with my Battle Buddy, Jeffrey. We had been talking all day to daddy and we knew he was in town and we couldn't wait to see him! Jeffrey was so excited. He wanted to give daddy an "Ellie Badge" so they could be in a club. He held onto his badges (he had two for daddy) so tight even when he fell asleep on the way down. We were both wearing Army shirts Jeffrey's said "Soldier's Son and Proud of It" and mine said "Army Wife". We had made a Welcome Home Daddy poster that we carried too. We had put star stickers and glitter paint all over it. Jeffrey loved that part. We left with what I thought was plenty of time but when I pulled up in front of the SEC I was in shock...they were parking on the grass...across the street. OY! So we pulled in an miraculously found a front row spot. We hurried in and found a place to sit just a few rows up from the bottom. I was overwhelmed with the amount of people who had turned out to welcome the soldiers home. So I'm not sure how they rest of the army does welcome home ceremonies, but at Ft. Carson they have the soldiers march in with everyone screaming and cheering them on. The last time I couldn't find Cory among the hundreds of soldiers, but this time I saw him by his walk. We were so happy. I can't describe the feeling, as terrible as getting that call from Cory was in September, I was on the complete opposite side of the emotion spectrum. I was grinning from ear to ear and holding Jeffrey and jumping up and down with joy.
I don't know why they always want to make speeches when you're standing there 20 feet away from your soldier who you haven't seen in months. But they do. I know they want to keep it short but even five minutes seems like an eternity. This time I was overwhelmed with the idea that Cory was alive and he was home and he would be all mine (for a while at least). The events of a few months before were still fresh in my mind and I knew that things could have very easily gone a different way. When they finally let them go it's like a riot. People running everywhere into the arms of their loved ones. The first time Cory and I just wandered looking for each other. This time I knew exactly where he was and ran straight for him. Jeffrey immediately recognized Daddy and was so happy to see him. He practically jumped from my arms to Cory's. Homecoming hugs are the best kind of hugs too. The kind that means that you've both survived some of the most difficult times and events in the past months/year but that you're back together again and don't have to let go.
Cory isn't big on ceremony or celebration so we headed for the doors pretty quick. The news was there and stopped us and asked if we wouldn't mind being on the news. Watching it later I am reminded of the excitement and anticipation of the moment. It was honestly the BEST OF TIMES for the MacNeil family.

No comments:
Post a Comment