Monday, April 18, 2011

Eyes Aloft!!

I've been listening to all kinds of old time radio programs to help me fall asleep. I listened to one that was called Eyes Aloft! And talked about those who were serving in the Aircraft Warning Service at the beginning of WWII. Basically they were volunteers who would spend shifts watching the skies to report any aircraft flying overhead, figuring that if Japan attacked the mainland of the US they would come from the west coast. Since America had no Air Force at the time it was a pretty amazing feat by civilians who wanted to be involved in the war effort. Any aircraft seen was reported to filter center and eventually the information was given to the Army. I am just continually amazed by the unity of people during WWII. Between war bond stamps, rationing, and volunteering to spend 4 hours in the middle of the night in a cold shack watching the skies.

No comments: