Sunday, November 1, 2009

Notre Dame VS Washington



I have never been to a football game, so I jumped on the chance to see the famous Notre Dame play Washington at the Alamo Dome. Our seats were decently close, 30 rows back, but I was not satisfied to sit in my chair. I was up walking around with my camera half of the game.



The people that you see at sporting events are half the reason for going. They way that some people get into sports you would think that they were on the team.



As I was walking around looking for a great shot a beam of orange light suddenly struck this man as I was walking by. After I took the photo I looked around to see who had turned on a spot light in the ceiling and find out where it was located. After a few seconds of searching I discovered that across the Alamo Dome a door to the outside had been briefly opened and it let in the last golden rays of the sun which lit this man up like a tightly focused spotlight. If you go to the light, the photo will present itself.




This man was also hit with a beam of last sun light, again just as I was walking by. Light. It happens. It is hard to capture the act of a person watching something and make it into an action shot itself. Had this man just been watching the game we would all wonder what he was looking at outside of the frame. By raising the binoculars to his eyes this man becomes the doer of the action and not simply the observer of it. He was in a perfect position high above the tier of people below him allowing my fast glass lens to turn them into a blur of bocha. That creates a strong separation between my subject and background and leaves not guesses as to which person in the crowd of Notre Dame fans I want you to see. Luckily, no one was sitting behind this man so I was able to get off many shots without disturbing him or anyone else.




I thought about purchasing a small Notre Dame jersey for Jeffrey, but as you can see this vendor sold out quickly. I took this shot on the way into the game nearly half an hour before the game actually began. I shot this quickly as I walked by. I have learned to keep the lens cap (aka never ready cap) off. Even when I put the camera back in its bag, unless I remove the lens from the camera body, I leave the cap off. I could have to pull it out quickly next time and be ready to shoot on the fly.



I rode to the football game with CW5 Burnside in his van. After the game the streets were so crowded with cars leaving the game that we decided to take an hour to visit the famous San Antonio River Walk. This was a pretty wise move considering that we asked one car of people exiting the parking just before they pulled onto the street how long it had taken them. As soon as we heard the response of 45 minutes we turned around and gladly went for a night walk.




Halloween is a fun time to be on the River Walk. We saw police officers, robbers, wrestlers, monsters, mummies, devils, ninjas, Spartans, nurses, sailors, Dracula, Darth Vader, and a zombie horde.

Other San Antonians dressed up in costumes for Halloween.




We did leave the river walk long enough to visit the Alamo. This is like Mecca for Texans.


In all it was a fun night, but I did miss out on taking Jeffrey trick or treating door to door in the neighborhood.

2 comments:

The Mac Clan said...

GO WSU COUGARS!!!!!

Andrea said...

Cool! I would love to see a Notre Dame football game.