Friday, July 16, 2010

Lesson at the Rodeo

I received two complementary tickets to the rodeo at work. While Tricia went to Denver for dance, I took Jeffrey for a night of horses, bulls and cowboys.


I brought out my camera as soon as we were in our seats and began looking for dynamic angles and interesting people. Soon Jeffrey was not satisfied with sitting next to me and wanted to stand in the isle to watch. I could not fully concentrate on taking photographs when I had to keep a constant eye on him an call him back when he inched away. In a short time Jeffrey was walking away to explore among the crowd and I had to leave my seat and walk after him. The closer I came to him the faster he went until it was a game of catch. It was apparent that I was not going to take photographs and keep Jeffrey safe.


I took Jeffrey all the way out the parking lot, put him in his seat and drove away from the rodeo to show him how serious he was about staying by me. After a short drive we turned around and came back to the rodeo. Jeffrey was good for the rest of the night and I left my camera locked in the trunk. I have decided once and for all that spending time with Jeffrey and photography are not compatible until he is older. When I try and do both neither come out well

No comments: