Saturday, June 7, 2008

Eating Well


I had this friend in Colorado, Miki, who was a very natural girl. She was planning to have a natural birth (I think she probably did, she was due two months before I was) and she always would have "organic" food in her house. At the time I thought she was just a little extreme and "why would you need to eat organic foods they cost so much more?" Now that I'm feeding a one year old and trying to eat healthier myself, I understand why. I posted about my war against High Fructose Corn syrup which is in literally everything! But the more I look at ingredients on labels at the commissary the more I can see her point. What am I giving to my kid when I give him animal crackers? Yes it's something sweet that he'll enjoy but is it really that good for him?
I spent 5 minutes reading labels of jelly the other day. Even the "all fruit, all natural" jams have a HIGH amount of unnatural ingredients and an incredible amount of sugar. So I ended up paying more for organic jam from Italy because I can pronounce everything on the label. I can't say that it's the right way for everything all the time (I can't find organic chocolate yet) for me it just seems to make more sense to eat things that are closer to the state they were in originally. I am slowly becoming more and more of a granola girl (natural birth...cosleeping...canvas grocery bags...organic foods). That might change though when there's a Wendy's within 1.000 miles of my house though. I'll keep you all updated. ;)

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Yeah, I hate to look for bread. Almost always the first ingredient is the high fructose junk. As for jam, the one I stick with is Smuckers Simply Fruit (seedless and spreadable strawberry). The first ingredient is fruit syrup -not sure to what extent that means. But I can pronounce the rest -strawberries (important for strawberry jam), lemon juice concentrate, fruit pectin, red grape juice concentrate added for color, and natural flavors (whatever those are). The sugar content seems low compared to others -8 grams per tbsp. Is that good or bad? Anyway, good luck. I'm not quite into that organic stuff, but natural is good.

the Dancer said...

I don't think we have that brand...and as for bread, we have TWO brands to choose from. I can't wait for a regular grocery store again.
.

Andrea said...

Good for you!! You're a much better mom than me. I'm just glad if the kids eat and are happy, especially since Allen is SO picky, but Abby's my little vacuum. Now after reading your post, I'm going to pay more attention to food labels. Thanks.