Sunday, April 8, 2012

I Love to See the Temple

We sang, "I love to see the temple, I am going there today," for Jeffrey. We wanted him to get excited about a trip to the Kansas City, MO temple open house. The trip came after a fun Easter party at the church. Jeffrey ran around with friends, filled his basket with candy laden eggs, and ate a pot luck lunch. It is not easy for a boy to go from playing with friends to changing into Sunday clothes on a Saturday afternoon.General Conference gave us something to listen to during the drive.

After two and a half hours of driving I suspected we were getting close. Just as I asked Tricia to confirm our location we crested a hill on the freeway and were given a first view of the impressive structure. A good turn out of visitors came to the temple, but it was not crowded. After watching a short video about the meaning and use of temples we followed our tour guide around and into the temple. As at all other temples, the interior design and decoration is regal but also minimalistic. I carried Jeffrey through the entire tour. He did not want to put on the white overshoes and so could not walk on the carpet on his own. At the site of the baptismal font he said, "I want to be baptized. I will just tell you when I am done."

A visit to Kansas City, MO is not complete without a stop at Five Guys Burgers. A hamburger and hot dog later we were on our way back home.

No comments: