Thursday, August 23, 2012

Baby Girl's Blessing Dress

So it's not the best picture of the dress, but here's baby girl's little dress. I need to hand wash it and her bonnet but I am excited to see her wear it. I wanted her to wear something vintage (I don't think I have my blessing dress here or if I do I decided she could wear something different. Jeffrey wore a little suit my mom had made when she thought I was going to be a boy along with some vintage family shoes.) and I wanted to use one of my mom's baby dresses. She only has a few that she wore but one of them was handmade from an army parachute with hand embroidered flowers. I took it out to look at this last time, but forgot to ask her to let me borrow it. So I came up with plan B.

Etsy is full of awesome finds if you have time time and patience to look through thousands of listings. This little dress was on sale for $8. It was listed as clean and in like new condition. Some had small holes or tears in the dress that wouldn't have worked. But I spent four days searching for every combination of "vintage, white, gown". Let me tell you, there were a few that would have been so cute! But I couldn't justify spending so much on one little dress. I made the slip for it with a pattern I made from the dress and wanted it to extend a few inches with lace on the bottom. I still need to wash it and press it, but I still have time for that before we bless her.

Do you know that feeling when you picture something and then it turns out exactly the way you had imagined it? I know Cory gets that more and more often with his photography, but this is my version of that happening. From idea to reality I am proud of this little project!

Why am I so stuck on vintage? Both of her names are sweet little hand-me-downs and I thought it would be only fitting to have her blessing dress be the same. So to whatever little mother toiled and labored over this "like new" dress and bonnet I am very grateful. Their handiwork is not lost or under appreciated by me.

No comments: