Tuesday, September 1, 2009

More New Soldiers



It is the end of another month, which is a reminder to me that I have been in Afghanistan for just over three months. That puts me about ¼ of the way home. Time has been flying by. When I am not busy with work I have been able to accomplish goals of my own. I have found that staying away from television (movies in our case) can give you back a lot of time to use in the day.

New soldiers arrived yesterday. We will be taking them through the same training that the last group went through before we can take them out on mission with us. This will mean a great deal of time invested on the part of the squad and team leaders, but once done the investment will pay off greatly. I took charge of the range today where we zeroed each soldier to his weapon. PV2 F. looks like he is going to fit right into our squad. He is 34 years old and joined the army after he lost his job and was in need of employment to keep his family afloat. I took him out for a run on the track with me in the evening time with our ballistic vests on. He kept up quite well and kept on going when we went to the gym right after to lift some weights in our kits.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Cory - Ben ran into Chrissy today... I check your blog every few days to be sure you're o.k., but I guess you're not posting again yet.
Here's to a quick & speedy recovery!! What a miracle that you made it out alive! Our prayers are with you and your family!!!!
Take care,
Carrie