A lot has taken place in my life since last year on 06 September when an RPG came through my vehicle. Were it not for the calendar I can look at, I would not think it had already been a year since that early morning.
I have gained a lot of life lessons from that experience and the events that followed after. The fragility of life is made bare when it is lost or taken suddenly. Life also has many opportunities to show its resilience and will to continue on. Here are a few of the lessons I learned.
Friendship is great. Thanks for coming to see me in the Hospital back in Germany, SSG Link.
Telling others you love and care for them is a daily priority. I am glad for every phone call made and letter sent from Afghanistan. The calls and conversations from and in Colorado are just as important.
I depend on others, even strangers, no matter how independent I trick myself into feeling. SPC Harlow put on my tourniquet, a chopper picked me up, SSG Yepez walked me to the LZ, F-16 covered our exit, and a surgeon performed on me at 0400.
2 comments:
I think of how your experience changed us as well one year ago. I think of the phone call from Tricia on that early Sunday morning and how I wanted to just be able to touch you in those dramatic moments. I hope that we have learned to hold each other more dear, to touch each other from a distance with phone calls and notes, to pray for each other even in the calm moments and to say outloud the "I love you's".
I can see how much your son Jeffrey means to you. Can you see how much you, my son, mean to me?
I love you every day.
Mom
I too remember getting a call. My first thoughts went to Tricia. I knew Cory would be cared for, but who would be there for Tircia? Who would help with Jeffery? That is when a family who has been raised to be close and supportive step into action. Glad you have that Tricia. I am here for ya too, but nothing beats your own mom and sister's. (sorry I dont have brothers so know nothing about that)
Post a Comment