Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The boy with no pants...

So I'm odd. You all know that by now, but today we'll discuss the oddity of clothing. I am very particular about Sunday clothes. I feel like they are for Sunday and that's what makes them special...the clothes we get ready on that "special day" Saturday. So naturally Jeffrey has really nice Sunday clothes. I can't bring myself to just let him wear a t-shirt and pants. I want him to be dressed for church.

Well, we got Jeffrey ready for church on Sunday after a rough night of him not sleeping well, he was up and down all night. In the middle of the night he just sat up and yelled "Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuice" It was not a normal night for him. We took him to nursery (he's not as eager to go without Sister Ellison there) and I stayed with him for a few minutes to get him settled. When he quit crying and was distracted I snuck out. Twenty minutes into Sunday School and the nursery leader brought him to me and said his diaper had leaked and he was pretty much soaked. So I took him and changed him and rinsed out his pants but since I didn't have a way to dry them and home is 20 minutes away from church I just hiked up his socks, pulled down his sweater and took him back. I opened the door and said, "He doesn't have any pants, can he still come back?"

It took a little coaxing to get him to want to stay but eventually I was able to sneak out again and go back to Sunday school. About 10 minutes later the nursery leader came in and asked me if Jeffrey knew sign language because he was trying to tell them something and they didn't understand. He was pretty upset when I went in, face bright red, tears streaming and signing for his "Ginky" (which say what you want to say, this is a really rough transition time for him and it's about to get a whole lot worse and I'll get rid of it when I feel like he can handle it). I took him back to Relief Society but he was just restless, wouldn't sit still, didn't want to eat his snack and worst of all he had no pants.

I think he was just exhausted and couldn't deal with anything else, so I gathered up our stuff and we packed up in the car. We hadn't left the parking lot when he had fallen asleep. Poor kid.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Awwww... poor kid. And poor mom. It's hard when things happen (like you need another pair of pants) and you have to just deal with the situation. I think it's great that you had him go back in without pants. And I think it's cool he knows sign and you can understand him.