Friday, March 26, 2010

Kitchenaid

I stole that pic from the internet. My camera is still at the camera doctors (don't get me started on them...shady business over there).

I used to love making cookies when I was a teenager. I didn't mind that it was a pretty long and often messy process because the end result was worth it. I decided why I didn't mind it so much. My mom had a Kitchenaid mixer aka greatest cookie making friend. When we first lived with my grandparents I remember making chocolate chip cookies at her house while my mom and gram were out. My grandpa used to sit in his TV room most of the day and wander out occasionally to see what was happening. Well their house had a perfect hallway back to the TV room and the cookie smell wafted down the hallway tempting him to come and investigate. I remember him coming out just as I was putting the cookies on a cooling rack and saying "I think I need to test one of those." So he snatched one and ate it quicker than I thought possible for a man of his age. I always thought my grandpa was a good looking man, he reminded me of John Wayne a little. He had a smile and a laugh that were so infectious that he lit up every room he was in.

After he finished one cookie he smiled and in his slow drawl said, "That one was good, but I better try another." He took another one and then wandered back to his chair. 12-15 minutes later when the next timer went off he appeared again and said, "I ought to test one from this batch too." It's a simple memory but I remember being glad that my grandpa liked my cookies. He loved his boys and his grandsons, but I think he always had a special place for his daughter and granddaughters. I never for one second doubted that my grandpa loved me unconditionally. It was that example of love that taught me what true love and what families are supposed to look like. My father was the same way, he loved his boys, but we girls stole his heart.

So why the reminiscence? My grandma gave me her Kitchenaid mixer a few years before she passed away. It reminds me of her and my grandpa and when I was making cinnamon cake today it reminded me of them.

I love my grandparents and miss them so much. I am thankful that I was so close to them and that I have so many good memories.

3 comments:

GrumpyOlman said...

you are absolutely right! Grandpa was a tremendous example of what "daddys" are supposed to be. I hope I can just grow up to be half the daddy he was. I'd count myself blessed, if I could.

Sherri said...

We love our Kitchenaid, too. And I'm glad I got to know Grandpa a little bit before he died. I still think about Grandma P a lot, too. Made me cry, actually at Jeff and Melissa's shower. I didn't have much to say about my grandparents, 3 of them were all gone before I was 3 yrs. and the one grandma I did have around, I was afraid of. So...I'm grateful I experienced through Steve's to see what it could be like.

Anonymous said...

Way to make me cry Tricia! How sweet! I love Grandma and Grandpa too and miss them. Can't wait to see you this week at the wedding. Stacey