Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Room





Given a small corner to call my own has given me not only a place to sleep comfortably, but has also given me a small portion of space to express myself with organization. Everything around here is organized, which I like, but most are arranged according to the best use for the most people. This space I call mine is arranged just for me.



I found a shelf for books and papers in the room when I arrived, dusted it off and made a home for my scriptures and alarm clock. A few other odd items are passengers in the space, but clutter free is the objective of all horizontal surfaces in here. A sort of table with a shelf below has become my dresser placed in the corner. This houses my uniforms and books under a blanket I found in the room upon arrival. A few days ago some parts were delivered to the motor pool in a large wooden box which I cleaned out and has become an heirloom trunk in which I place my T-shirts and socks. Next to it is a small round table on which I place my laptop, conveniently located next to the power source of the room. I am able to sit on my bed, pull the table in, and write a letter home, prepare a blog entry, or touch up some of the photos taken through the day.
As comfortable as it is to be in this organized place, I still prefer to get out as much as possible when I have personal time. I do not want to find myself tucked away in a corner collecting dust during the deployment. Getting out of the room is a reminder that there is more to life than pulling the blanket over my head and going to sleep until the next task arrives. The TV room is little used by everyone else and contains a few stuffed chairs and couches I can take a seat on for reading the scriptures, a novel, or cleaning my weapon in peace and silence.

No comments: