Monday, August 24, 2009

Dismounted In a Farmers Field




I lead a dismounted mission through some farmer’s fields, which ended up being quite an adventure. Since very little ground here is flat, all of the farmer’s fields are terraced. I ended up taking the lead being tall enough to see over the corn. I think all of us took a few tumbles last night. Night vision is great, but it is like looking at the world through a green toilet paper roll with no depth perception.



Our new soldiers that arrived several weeks ago are doing quite well. One is working at my gunner and the other as my driver. I did have to give up PFC R. the other day. A soldier received an injury in another area of Afghanistan, and another combat engineer had to take his place. PFC R. volunteered to take his place and by the next day, a black hawk landed to pick him and his bags up.





Today turned out to be an unexpected day off. That is something we have all needed for a long time. I went over to the platoon sergeant hut one time to perform a very simple detail. The rest of the day was mine to spend how I would. I braced myself for any call that would come in over the radio for me, but none ever came. I was able to complete some needed work of my own, but I also made sure I took time to have some fun, and even a little time for plain old loafing.






I went on line to B&H photo to look at the lenses I am saving to purchase. It is helpful to do this occasionally to keep me on track with what I want most. Internet purchases are easy to make and one can find themselves spending a lot more money than they plan on. If I am tempted to make a purchase I simply ask myself what I want most in the long run. I am looking at some expensive lenses, but I feel that I have taken my hobby to the level that it is time to have some nice equipment to complement the abilities of the 30D camera body.

No comments: