It is the beginning of a new month and I am glad for it because it means that I have completed another month of saving toward the purchase of some wanted photography equipment. I made a list of things that I wanted before I left, added up the total cost, and then divided it by the twelve months that I would be here in Afghanistan. I have to wait until the end of the month to make any purchases, and this only happens as long as through the month I did not spend any money on other things. Having this list laid out in front of me makes it easy to ask myself when tempted to make a purchase, do I really want this now, or do I want to be able to make my planned purchase at the end of the month. By the time I return home I should have a nice set of lenses, a new flash with a stand, and a few other items that will help me to take my photography to a whole new level.
LT M is always excited by training. Any time I run into him he is conferring with me about plans to train the new guys or take our current squad to the next training event in preparation for a mission. We noticed that our new soldiers are hurting in the aerobic area, so we went out for a 0700 run around the track this morning. The LT and I had no problem getting around the track, but after half a lap, or just under one mile, all of the new privates were hurting. We had planned to take them around three times, nearly a six mile run, but on the second lap it was apparent this was not going to happen without someone receiving a heat injury. At our half way point when our small group was really strung out along the track I stopped in the lead and made everyone do an aerobic exercise until all had caught up. We then got down and did push-ups until everyone had a common unison desire to get up and run together as a group rather than do one more push-up. I cannot make any of these privates run around the track quickly. That is out of my power. But I can make them wish that they could run around the track quickly. I can do that all day long.
At 1500 everyone in the platoon lined up outside of the platoon sergeants living quarters to take our weapons and other accountable items in to have them checked off. It is important to do this once in a while to keep careful track of all that we are responsible for. Each morning at 0530 I go to everyone’s room to check on their items, but my check is not at thorough and far reaching as this one was. All items were present and we moved on with our day.
The new soldiers have allowed us the freedom to move around some of the positions that my squad members fill. I now have PV1 C as my gunner, but he will not be able to go out on a mission in that position until we have taught him all he needs to know. I prepared a list of things he needs to be able to do and know. CPL G turned that list into an hour and a half block of instruction held out on my vehicle where PV1 C was able to get hands on training. I went out to observe the training, but sat in the back and did not say anything. I cannot stand it when I am leading instruction and someone in the audience decides to try and take over by sharing useless information, or skipping ahead to another piece of information just because it popped into their heads. We will have a chance to take PV1 C down to the test fire range tomorrow and let him go through some scenarios with the gun.
I found myself with two hours of free time at the end of the evening and used in reading about photography and the adventures of Frodo Baggins. It was very relaxing and a good end to my day.
No comments:
Post a Comment