Friday, March 28, 2008

Monochrome



Our library does not have much to check out when it comes to photography, but I did find two books containing some of the photographs of Ansel Adams. I have seen his works as posters in nearly every poster shop I have been to, and are hanging up in the front offices of businesses all over, but not until this week have I ever taken time to look closely at his work.


I am most intrigued by his photographs of nature close up, such as a patch of leaves and grass taken at a college in California or the dead wood he photographed in Sierra Nevada. Color photographs would not nearly be as interesting or captivating for many of his shots. After looking at his works I have reconsidered going back to photographing in black and white my self. Tricia suggested that as a beginning photographer this would be a good exercise for me as it would encourage me to concentrate on contrast before moving back into color.


I have learned to take my photographs in color and then convert them to black and white later. The JPEG contains all of the color information for later use if desired, and it allows me to select from the many variations of just what colors will turn what shade of the 256 available between black and white.

No comments: