So way back in December, during our tithing settlement, the bishop said "I wasn't planning on saying anything, but I'm going to anyway." Nice starter to a conversation right? Well he said that they were going to change the primary presidency and the name that kept coming back as president was mine. I wanted to look back and say, "Are you sure it's not someone named Farisha MacBill? Because I can see how you could get the two confused." But I didn't, I was in too much shock. He said they were hoping to change around the first of the year so if I wanted to accept I could start thinking about names for counselors. Well long story short and two bouts of pneumonia later, yesterday I was sustained and set apart as the new primary president in the Graf ward.
Am I intimidated? Darn tootin'! (Paige, how's that for pulling a reference out of the archives and dusting it off?) But I'm excited, I've been in primary since I was in Utah (over 6 years) so I feel like I am about as prepared as I could be, it's overwhelming but I love the primary kids!
3 comments:
Congratulations! You'll do great. I think it's a very important calling that requires a lot of patience and a good sense of humor. Your primary's probably not like ours -4 nurseries and 2 classes per age group, but you'll probably have your hands full anyway. Steve and I got pulled in yesterday to sub for 6 yr-olds. It was quite the experience, but fun.
Yeah that you are willing to accept the responsibility! By learning to overlook disappointments in the big kids (adults) you deal with and by being anxious to see the real reason Primary is so essential this will certainly be a time well spent. The other day we had a stake visitor come to our class and the nursery children sang the first verse of "I Am a Child of God" and I left that day thinking it doesn't get any better than this. We get to teach them at the most basic level things that will guide them through their lives, that they will look back on and rely on. In World War I Eddie Rickenbacker, a flying ace, was shot down over the ocean. He was almost given up for dead when after seven days on the water he was found on a life raft. In an interview he was asked what kept him going when things looked so bleak. He said he kept singing the Primary songs he had learned as a boy. There you go.
That's exciting! Primary is very fun, as you already know.
Post a Comment